Friday, January 7, 2011

Craft #7 - Stretchy Sock Scarf (using the "Chain Stitch")

I have a couple balls of the Paton Stretch Sock Yarn in Licorice, and I'm already working on one pair of socks.  So, I started thinking... what else can I do with stretchy sock yarn besides socks?  Well, can I make a scarf out of this yarn? I don't see why not. :)  


For this scarf, I wanted to chain the length of the scarf, not the width.  I don't know about anyone else, but I do not like long chains.  It seems difficult to keep the chain straight and even.  So, I was thoroughly pleased when I heard of a way to stitch the chain and first row at the same time in a few simple steps.  I'm not sure if it has a name, but I'll call it the "Chain Stitch."  If you happen to read this and know what it's called, please enlighten me :)


Single Crochet Chain Stitch
Starting with slip knot on the hook, chain 2 more.
Stick hook in beg. of ch.  Pull up a loop.  
Ch 1 in the pulled up loop.
YO and pull through both loops on the hook.
Stick hook in 2nd ch. Pull up a loop.
Ch 1 in the pulled up loop.
YO and pull through both loops on the hook.
Repeat until desired length.


It may be a bit difficult to understand the way I explained it.  I'll try to either post a video or pictures.  In the meantime- trial and error was how I figured it out after reading written instructions. :)


Stretchy Sock Scarf (Mostly Straight)  -- Option 1
This pattern has been posted by Krafty-Lyn.  Please only use it for gifts, donation, or personal use. Thank-you.


Materials
Paton Stretch Sock Yarn
"J" crochet hook (use a smaller hook if a tighter stitch is desired)


Using the Single Crochet Chain Stitch, ch the desired length of your scarf. (I did the stitch 151 times)
Starting in the second stitch from the hook, HDC to the end of the chain.
Ch 1 and turn.
Continue this pattern until scarf is desired width.  DO NOT TIE OFF.


Border:
Round: 3 DC in one stitch.  *Ch 1. Skip 1. 3 DC in one stitch.* Repeat from * to * around the entire edge of the scarf.


Stretchy Sock Scarf (Ruffled)  -- Option 2
(This pattern was found at Caron International Yarns)


Using the Single Crochet Chain Stitch, ch the desired length of your scarf. (I did the stitch 151 times)
Row 1: Turn.  Ch 1.  Sc in each ch 1space across.
Row 2:  Turn.  Ch 2.  Work 2 dc in each sc across.
Row 3:  Turn.  Ch 2.  *Work 2 dc in next dc.  Work 1 dc in next dc.*  Repeat bet *’s across.
Row 4:  Turn.  Ch 2.  *Work 2 dc in each of next two dc’s.  Work 1 dc in next dc.*  Repeat bet *’s across.
Row 5:  Repeat Row 4.  Break off.



Stretchy Tube Sock Scarf  -- Option 3


Same as Option 1, but worked in a round. Use the same border from Option 1, but put the border around the two open ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment