Thursday, January 13, 2011

Craft #13 - Felted Crochet Yarn Caddy --Completed!

This was a gift for my sister, so I couldn't post it until I gave it to her.  I used a beach tote bag pattern that I found on CrochetPatternCentral.com, and made a few alterations to make it work for my idea.  First of all, I used Paton's Classic Wool with a size H-USA crochet hook.  I also started with 12 dc in the ring instead of 8, and followed the the rest of the pattern.  That way when I felted the bag, it would be the right size.  In Round 9, I did a popcorn stitch every 4 dc.

Double Crochet Popcorn Stitch
YO, pull up a loop.  Repeat 3 more times so you have 9 loops total on your crochet hook.  YO and pull through all the loops..

I continued to throw in a few popcorn rows throughout the pattern to give it texture.

How did I felt the bag?  After finishing the bag and adding the wide strap, I put the bag in a wash load of towels.  I ran the Hot wash/Cold rinse cycle & extra detergent.  I checked the felting job every 5mins to make sure I wasn't overdoing or underdoing it.  By the time I took the bag out, the wash cycle was almost done anyway.  I then put the bag back in for the rinse cycle.  I dried the bag for 15-20mins on hot with the towels.  It did shrink a bit more in the dryer.  I am very pleased with the results.  The pictures aren't the greatest- I'm working on getting a better camera (probably a higher quality camera phone... like a Samsung Epic or HTC Evo Shift).  I forgot to snap a picture of the bag before I felted it, but here are a couple pics of the post-felting job.

Felted Crochet Yarn Caddy on TwitpicFelted Crochet Yarn Caddy on Twitpic




No comments:

Post a Comment